- Tickets Get the best tickets for Sports Events on Tickets MARCA
- New England Patriots Stefon Diggs' replacement on the Patriots will not be another star receiver, but a tight end!
A legal cloud that hung over the New England Patriots during their run to Super Bowl LX has finally lifted.
On Monday in Attleboro, Massachusetts, prosecutors announced they are dropping the domestic assault and battery charge against Patriots defensive star Christian Barmore, saying the case is "not viable for prosecution."
The 26-year-old defensive tackle was accused of taking his girlfriend's phone, throwing her to the floor and grabbing her shirt during an argument at his home in Mansfield in August 2025, according to a criminal complaint filed in December.
However, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III told reporters that the alleged victim now lives out of state and did not want to travel back to Massachusetts to testify, a key factor in the decision to dismiss the case.
Barmore was scheduled to be arraigned on the misdemeanor charge, but the prosecution informed the judge that they could not prove the case without the accuser's cooperation.
Prosecutors noted that Barmore was not arrested at the time of the initial report, something they said weighed into their assessment of the case's strength.
His attorney, David Meier, has consistently denied wrongdoing, saying previously that "the evidence will demonstrate that no criminal conduct took place" and that he expected the matter to be resolved.
For the Patriots, the news comes as a relief as they begin preparations for the 2026 season. The organization was notified of the incident at the time it occurred and had informed the NFL, stressing that they would monitor the legal process closely and cooperate fully.
Context and implications for Barmore and Patriots
The dismissal does not imply a finding of innocence, but rather reflects legal realities when a key witness is unwilling or unable to testify.
Prosecutors said they reviewed the evidence and determined they could not meet the burden of proof required for a conviction.
The original complaint included details from the woman, who claimed she provided photos of bruising she said occurred when she was thrown to the floor.
She also described her fear that Barmore could make her life difficult due to his status and resources. Nonetheless, without her testimony in court, prosecutors concluded they had insufficient evidence to proceed.
Barmore's legal ordeal unfolded against a backdrop of another highprofile case involving former Patriots wide receiver Stefon Diggs, who was charged last month with felony strangulation and other offenses in a separate incident in Massachusetts.
Although the charges against Barmore have been dropped, the episode highlights the scrutiny NFL players face both on and off the field.
The Patriots organization emphasized its commitment to monitoring such matters and upholding standards of conduct.
For his part, Barmore continues to be under contract with the Patriots and played the entire 2025 season, including the team's playoff run, missing time in earlier years due to unrelated health issues.
As the Patriots turn their attention to the upcoming season, the dismissal of this charge allows them to focus on football, while fans and observers await how the team's roster and its offfield narratives will evolve in the months ahead.
